The Society Of Friends Of Bowring Park

The Society of Friends of Bowring Park


To enable the Park to be here in a meaningful way and speak up for its interests


That the park belongs to the local people and should be looked after for all time to protect our history and heritage

That when children have a positive experience here it helps them develop into responsible citizens

This Community Resource has great potential that should be realised



Engaging and involving people of all ages in devloping and enjoying the park


Of historical features, the environment, natural resources and biodiversity within the area


Attracting Financial and Creative Income to enable us to operate viably


Celebrating and commemorating the past by bringing heritage to life in the present

The Society of Friends of Bowring Park was founded 2nd March 1989 in response to local campaigns objecting to proposed disposal advertised by Liverpool City Council, trustees since the Deed of Gift 25th June 1906, and Presentation 12 June 1907. Charity Reg No 1003308

  1. In 1990 The Trustees again advertised proposals for 'disposal' of 13.8 acres and again met with strong opposition by FOBP and other local groups & individuals.
  2. The Society became a registered charily 25th June 1991 which happily co-incided with its first 'Birthday Gala' in Bowring Park to commemorate the Deed of Gift. By now it had made contact with members of the Bowring family and the BOWRING company donated £500 towards Gala expenses.   We bought three bench seats for Bowring Park from proceeds of this Gala {and still the only seats in Bowring Park.   More welcome as gifts).
  3. In 1993 the Society launched a £100,000 Appeal to commemorate W Bowring's Centenary as the first elected Lord Mayor of Liverpool 1893-94 and the Bowring family gave extremely generous support of £85,000 towards this target for the restoration of the semi-derelict 18c Coach House as a Visitors Centre and community resource.   It was opened by Edgar and Peter Bowring, Appeal Patrons, on 6th October 1995.
  4. At the request of the Society, a JOINT CONSULTATIVE MANAGEMENT (JCM) COMMITTEE was formed between representatives of the Trustees LCC, the local authority KMBC and the support charity, FOBP. It was agreed that use of the Centre be allocated as follows: LCC 2 days per week   KMBC 2 days per week, rest: FOBP. However, Knowsley did not use their allocation. LCC employed a Ranger at the Centre two days per week and he worked very closely with FOBP to put on nature activities, including bird-watching.   LCC also started restoring the gardens and dell under direction of John Hussy (ex 1960s apprentice!)
  5. FOBP raised monies for other park projects incl £5000 to repair south walls, and the fitting out of the Centre, and several grants for FOBP increasing fundraising events list. It also spent £2,500 on repairing roof to pottings sheds and installing steel doors and window shutters to protect the structure pending its launch of an appeal to refurbish the building, install unisex toilets and provide storage space for FOBP. These sheds are a worthy heritage feature.
  6. Trusteeship of Bowring Estate transferred to Knowsley in 1997. FOBP marked this with a special celebration at the Birthday Gala 25th June. However, some disappointing outcomes for FOBP and parts of the park!   JCM meetings were discontinued. KMBC instructed us to stop further improvements because they were launching a Lottery bid, (unsuccessful after 9 years). The on site Ranger was not replaced by Knowsley.   Spoil heaps back!
  7. In 2002 FOBP used £11,750 reserved monies to refurbish a 12' width of original setts along the frontage to 18C coach house. These reserves were boosted by hire of the Coach House by KMBC for its three-year pioneering student 'Greenkeepers Academy'which hugely improved the golf course, opened in 1913, reputedly the first municipal golf course in England, and still popular. 'Friends' organised annual events in parkland, social and craft activities in the coach house.
  8. CENTENARY CELEBRATIONS give us a new opportunity for good partnerships. with the Trustees and others.   Knowsley Borough have reinstated a full time gardener to rejuvenate the gardens and 'Friends' have launched a Centenary Appeal in aid of the refurbishment of the Georgian brick walls in the walled garden so that the gardens can be renewed with community participation in planning and development of horticultural skills.
  9. Donations welcome!

    Address Cheques "FRIENDS OF BOWRING PARK"

    Account No. 37777564
    Branch sort code 60-11-32

    Bank Address:
    National Westminster Bank pic