Friends of Bowring Park Welcome You
Historic Bowring Park in Roby, UK is a gift "to the people for all time" from Alderman William Benjamin Bowring after the Open Spaces Act was agreed by Parliament on 1st January 1906 and offered in a letter dated 11th January 1906. An Alderman is a Senior member of a local council, elected by other councillors, William Bowring then went on to be Lord Mayor of Liverpool 1893 -1894, he was the first to hold this new title for a full Municipal Year. On 25th June 1906 The "Deed of Gift" was signed and the following year sealed in an official Presentation Ceremony on the 12th June 1907 when Roby Hall was renamed Bowring Park. Sir William opened the first municipal Golf Course in the country in Bowring Park in 1913.
WILLIAM BENJAMIN BOWRING 1837 - 1916
Alderman William Benjamin Bowring's Grandfather, Benjamin Bowring set sail from the UK for St John's, Newfoundland, Canada in 1811. William Benjamin was born there in 1837 his father being Charles Tricks Bowring, his Grandfather's 2nd eldest son, ( The eldest son William Bowring tragically drowned at sea at the age of 26 on the doomed brig "Mathilda" on his first homeward bound Atlantic Crossing to meet his intended bride Harriet Harvey who was married 4 years later to Charles Tricks Bowring). The Bowring Family made many Cross Atlantic Voyages between St John's and the UK. William Benjamin was educated in Liverpool, worked in St John's and New York - where he married Isabel Maclean Jarvis and returned to make his home base in Liverpool at the age of 31. He involved himself in the Bowring Family Business and became Chairman of CT Bowring after his Father and Uncle. In 1911 The Bowring Brothers to commemorate their successful business, a trade and shipping firm between Newfoundland, North America and the UK commemorated their 100th Year of Commerce by offering to the City of St John's a recreational park as a token of appreciation to that community presented by Edgar Rennie Bowring, first cousin of Alderman William Benjamin Bowring. Click on Bowring Park History and for further information on Bowring Park, St John's, Newfoundland and Labrador, Click on contact us page.
THE SOCIETY OF FRIENDS OF BOWRING PARK, ROBY, UK
Founded 2nd March 1989 by the local community and founder chair Audrey Wilson MBE in 1991 became a registered charity to protect the right of the people’s heritage gift of the Park "for all time", to conserve and restore for our recreation and enjoyment. The Society of Friends of Bowring Park has commemorated the "Deed of Gift" in a Gala Day each year on or around the 25th June and on or around 12th June celebrating the Official Presentation to remember the 11,000 School Children who had a picnic in the Park in 1907. Work is currently underway to secure support for the restoration of Knowlsey’s oldest municipal Park, including a bid to the Heritage Lottery Fund’s “Parks for the people” programme.
CURRENT SOCIETY PRESIDENT Mr Henry Bowring - his grandfather Henry illingsworth Bowring - a first cousin of Alderman William Benjamin Bowring is pictured in the official presentation photograph of the Presentation Ceremony on 12th June 1907 when Roby Hall was renamed Bowring Park in appreciation of William's generous gift to the people of Liverpool for all time.
BOWRING PARK GOLF COURSE BOOKINGS 0151 477 8606
The Coach House - THE VISITORS HERITAGE CENTRE where The Society of Friends of Bowring Park are based is now closed for renovations Enquiries to Lorraine Chair via email email@example.com
Please remember The Heritage Centre and the Events are organised entirely by the dedication of VOLUNTEERS.
TO ENABLE THE PARK TO BE HERE IN A MEANINGFUL WAY AND SPEAK UP FOR ITS INTERESTS
SEE ABOUT US PAGE
ENTRY to Historic Bowring Park's DELL is VIA The entrance to The Golf Course, Turn left along the Pathway and past the putting Green onto the Sunken Garden.
Please contact Lorraine Voluntary Chair by email - firstname.lastname@example.org for any further information.
CELEBRATIONS ! HERITAGE LOTTERY FUNDING BID to restore Bowring Park SUCCESSFUL
RESTORATION of Bowring Park and Builldings funded by HLF and Knowsley council